The pass of Poros is magical surrounded by pine trees, olive trees and lemon trees. The beauty of this place has impressed and has been praised by prominent literary people such as the nobelist Giorgos Seferis, Kosmas Politis, Kostis Palamas, Ioulia Dragoumi and the American writer Henry Miller.
Many of the houses of Poros are samples of the neoclassical architecture. One can distinguish the Deimezi building made of grey and red stone and Grivas' shop, with its wide doors nad the bery beautiful interior decoration. Villa Galini, among the most beautiful houses of Poros, has hosted great personalities of the Arts and Literature.
At Korizi square there is the Archeological Museam of Poros which is open to public daily except Sundays, from 9.00 am to 15.00 p.m. Findings from the excavations of the Temple of Posidon, Ancient Trizina, Magoula, Apathia, Modi and Saint Constantine from Methana are displayed here. One can also see the magnificent wall paintings of Parthenis at the Saint George Cathedral and visit the Public Library.
On the Eastern side it is worth visiting the Zoodochou Pigi Monastery (18th century), built on a green slope with a view to the sea. With its picturesqueness, it combines peace and simplicity. At the entrance of the Monastery there is a famous spring with healing properties which lies on the side of a torrent, below some huge plane trees. It was founded by the Metropolitan Bishop dacob B' both at his expence and other various contributions.
The monastery is surrounded by tall and strong walls, without any openings. There is only the central gate and the loopholes. At the rectangular precinct, there is the temple, the catholic and the family tomb of Tombazis, N. Apostolis and the Admiral from Hydra An. Miaoulis.
The temple is simple without many wall paintings. The precious wooden - curved icon streen, which was made in Kappadokia of Asia Minor in the 17th centure, togenter with the wooden - curved iconostasis and the imposing bishop throne, are of great interest. Te temple is a Basilica type with a dome and a tower - like bell - tower. In general, the construction is a sample of island monastery architecture.
Walking towards northeastern we reach the Temple of Posidon. Few remains are felt today from the Doric Temple (6th century) made of blue limestone with 34 columns. This place was a sacred asylum for fugitives and castaways.
5 kilometers towards the North there are the ruins of the Russian Dockyard. There in 1834 warehouses and bakeries were built for the supply of the Russian fleet sailing in the Aegean. The Russians kept this property until the 1900s. since 1989, with a Ministerial cedision, the Russian Dockyard has been announced as a historical preservable monument due to its great architectural and historical interest. At the eastern of the port there is a small island called Bourtzi with a small castle built in 1927 on it protect the port.
If you have any questions or remarks, contact us at: info(at)webmania.gr